The department of Paediatric Hematology Oncology is functional since April 2017 at the institute. The department caters to patients with blood diseases and cancers. We are involved in the diagnosis and management of childhood cancers, thalassemias, hemophilias, rare bleeding disorders, aplastic anemia, nutritional anemias, primary immune deficiencies and other rare haemolytic anemias and inherited bone marrow failure syndromes. Our journey has been fulfilling so far and we have been striving to develop our department as a tertiary centre for patients from in and outside the state.
Name of the Faculty
Dr Nita Radhakrishnan
Designation: Assistant Professor
Qualification: MD Paediatrics, FNB (DNB Fellowship in Paediatric Hematology Oncology)
- Integrated Hemophilia and Thalassemia Treatment Center: Our centre has been recognised as a treatment centre for both Hemophilia and Thalassemia under the National Health Mission and currently we have registered more than 120 patients with hemophilia and 60 patients with thalassemia at our centre. These patients can avail all benefits provided by the state such as access to free coagulation factor support in hemophilia/VWD and leucodepleted blood and free chelation in case of thalassemia.
- Special clinics: We conduct speciality clinics for the various diseases that need chronic comprehensive care with involvement of other specialist doctors, dietician, physiotherapist, dentist etc. The special clinics run by the department are
- IAP Fellowship in PHO: The department has been recognized as a training centre for fellowship in Paediatric Hematology Oncology under Indian Academy of Paediatrics (1 candidate per year, qualification post MD Paediatrics/ DNB Paediatrics).
- Nurses training in childhood cancer care: We conduct regular 1-month training programs for nurses working in new hospitals in all aspects of childhood cancer care. Nurses from other states have been referred to us for skill development in childhood cancer care. Our nurses have been involved as trainers and faculty for similar programs.
- Parent and patient awareness programs: We conduct patient and parent awareness programs in childhood cancer, hemophilia, thalassemia and other diseases treated in our department. We celebrate all festivals and birthdays with our patient families and strive to make their journey with us as comfortable as possible.
Wed: Nutritional anemia
Thu: Primary Immune Deficiency and post BMT
Fri: LTFU (long term follow up) of cancer patients)
Sat: Bleeding and thrombosis clinic
- General OPD:
daily (Mon-Sat, institute timings 9am-1pm)
- Special OPD:
- Other services:
Monday: Thalassemia clinic
Wednesday: Nutritional anemia clinic
Thursday: Primary immune deficiency +BMT Clinic
Friday: LTFU clinic (long term follow up of cancer patients)
Saturday: Bleeding and thrombosis clinic
Patient support program for Hemophilia (monthly)
- Practical Paediatric Hematology Workshop Aug 2017
Paediatric Hematology Oncology Nursing workshopSept 2018
- CME on primary immune deficiencies Dec 2018
- Patient support programs (regular)
Courses/ Training offered
2 year Fellowship in Paediatric Hematology Oncology under the aegis of Indian Academy of Paediatrics
Diet in cancer patients
We have an active research program with both national and international collaborations.
- To develop the department as a referral centre for children with blood diseases and cancers from UP and neighbouring states
- Develop research laboratories for diagnosis of primary immunodeficiency diseases, Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis, carrier detection and prenatal testing for thalassemia and hemophilia and evaluation of rare bleeding disorders
- Develop research collaborations with institutes of international and national acclaim which will help in developing indigenous solutions to difficult to treat diseases.