The department of Transfusion Medicine and Blood Bank at SSPH & PGTI is committed to provide safe blood and blood components support to patients. The department endeavours to provide blood components such as packed red cells, platelets concentrates, fresh frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate, single donor apheresis platelets, granulocytes and peripheral blood hematopoietic progenitor cells. Safety of blood and blood components are ensured with careful donor interview and examination with screening of donated blood for HIV 1 & 2, Hepatitis B & C, Malaria and Syphilis using appropriate technology.
Name of the Faculty
Dr Seema Dua
Designation: Associate Professor and Head
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Pathology)
Special Interest: Blood Component Therapy, Transfusion Transmitted Ing=fection Screening
Dr Satyam Arora
Designation: Assistant Professor
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Treransfusion Medicine)
Special Interest: Clinical Transfusion, Immunohematology, Cellular Therapy, Clinical Apheresis”
- Blood Component Therapy
- Specialized Blood Components for Paediatric Transfusion Practices:
- Specialized Testing for Blood Components:
- Immunohematology Lab
- Therapeutic Cytapheresis
- Quality Assurance
- Thalassemia and Hemophilia Center
The department is committed to provide 24 x 7 availability of blood components such as Packed Red Blood Cells (PRBC), Platelets Concentrates (PC), Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP), Cryoprecipitate, Cryo Poor Plasma (CPP), Single Donor platelets and plasma products, Granulocytes and buffy costs, Hematopoietic Stem cells
Reconstituted Whole Blood (Exchange Transfusion), Paediatric PRBC units for transfusing neonates
The blood products at SSPH & PGTI are tested for Anti HIV 1 & 2, HBsAg, Anti HCV, Malaria and Syphilis. In addition to the above mandatory testing all the blood components are also tested for Anti HBc (core). The compatibility testing for these components are done on Gel technology.
The Department has established a state of art immunohematology lab to provide all extensive testing for rare blood groups and the alloantibodies. In addition the lab routinely provide extensive work up for AIHA, Cold Agglutinins and PNH.
The department also provides therapeutic cervices such as therapeutic phlebotomy for polycythemia/ haemochromatosis, therapeutic plasma exchange, therapeutic cytapheresis, and peripheral stem cell harvests.
The department participates in quarterly BEQAS (Blood Bank External Quality Assurance Scheme) to ensure adequate quality of its blood components and testing facility.
The department is empanelled for reporting to Hemovigillance Program of India and reporting all patient transfusion reactions and donor adverse reaction to the national program.
The department provides regular transfusion support to the institutional Thalassemia and Hemophilia center.
- 2017: First Annual SSPH & PGTI update on Paediatric Transfusion medicine Practice (August)
- 2019: Hands on Workshop for Basics in Immunohematology (Feb)
Courses/ Training offered
- First Annual SSPH & PGTI update on Paediatric Transfusion medicine Practice (Souvenir 2017)
- Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) in Basics in Immunohematology for Blood Banks (in Hindi)
Pubmed Link:- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Satyam+Arora
- The department aims of adding an additional layer of safety to blood and blood components by introduction of Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (NAT) for Transfusion Transmitted Infection screening.
- To initiate certificate courses for Paediatric Transfusion Medicine for post graduate students and paramedical personnel’s.
- The department aims to establish a state of art GMP standard Cellular Therapy Lab for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant and research in Cellular Medicine